One for the T244 Owners

Anything vehicle related

Moderators: stan, Chris S, Zoltan

Ivan C
Gold
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:38 am

One for the T244 Owners

Postby Ivan C » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:54 am

I'm sure many of you will already have seen this, but www.nu-vardo.com makes an interesting read.
Ivan C

User avatar
NeilandPat
Gold
Posts: 1415
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:16 pm
Location: South America Going Slow
Contact:

Re: One for the T244 Owners

Postby NeilandPat » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:51 pm

That's a lot of money.

Nice truck though

Neil

crinklystarfish
Gold
Posts: 1277
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:34 am
Contact:

Re: One for the T244 Owners

Postby crinklystarfish » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:26 pm

Tall. Tall to the point where it might well be something of a liability in many real-world overlanding scenarios.

Puts me in mind of some of the Motorcraft Conversion stuff and makes me wonder just how much truck-based overlanding the creators have actually done.

Presents well in pictures, though.

User avatar
NeilandPat
Gold
Posts: 1415
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:16 pm
Location: South America Going Slow
Contact:

Re: One for the T244 Owners

Postby NeilandPat » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:37 am

My thought exactly.

I think some of these trucks are designed by people behind a desk who have never spent a night in a truck

Neil

PeteB
Gold
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:24 am
Location: Somerset

Re: One for the T244 Owners

Postby PeteB » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:31 am

For all the sales details there is no mention of cabin size or GVW. With all the wood and luxury equipment, and 0.8T of fuel/water when full, it must be pushing towards 10T. Might be nice to mention you'd need a full cat C licence to drive it...

crinklystarfish
Gold
Posts: 1277
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:34 am
Contact:

Re: One for the T244 Owners

Postby crinklystarfish » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:44 am

NeilandPat wrote:My thought exactly.

I think some of these trucks are designed by people behind a desk who have never spent a night in a truck

Neil


... or even in a campervan !

As in a previous post, there's definitely a growing trend for the construction of vehicles that take design cues from overlanding vehicles but which - in reality - are probably better though of as 'alternative RVs'.

Now, that's just perfectly fine - people should build / buy / use whatever they like.

The slight difficulty I have is that some of these vehicles are being squarely marketed as overlanders / expedition trucks, when the reality is that they aren't particularly capable in that regard.

A quarter of million pounds (and a good deal more for some of the Motorcraft stuff) is a lot to spend on an 'overlander' that can only overland on relatively flat, level surfaces - and where there are no bridges, overhead wires, overhanging roofs, trees, rocky outcrops on little roads, encroaching building, etc, etc, etc...

Rusape
Gold
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:04 pm
Location: Herts

Re: One for the T244 Owners

Postby Rusape » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:52 am

crinklystarfish wrote:
NeilandPat wrote:My thought exactly.

I think some of these trucks are designed by people behind a desk who have never spent a night in a truck

Neil


... or even in a campervan !

As in a previous post, there's definitely a growing trend for the construction of vehicles that take design cues from overlanding vehicles but which - in reality - are probably better though of as 'alternative RVs'.

Now, that's just perfectly fine - people should build / buy / use whatever they like.

The slight difficulty I have is that some of these vehicles are being squarely marketed as overlanders / expedition trucks, when the reality is that they aren't particularly capable in that regard.

A quarter of million pounds (and a good deal more for some of the Motorcraft stuff) is a lot to spend on an 'overlander' that can only overland on relatively flat, level surfaces - and where there are no bridges, overhead wires, overhanging roofs, trees, rocky outcrops on little roads, encroaching building, etc, etc, etc...


The quality of Motorcraft's work is hard to criticise, when compared to the major European builders. The problem is that they don't have any real experience of overland travel and the points raised above. Too many "new" owners want a tough looking truck and Motorcraft will build what they think works.

Their MAN Kat is an example. As a vehicle it is immensely capable over any ground and will in a controlled environment do almost anything. What they don't appreciate is trying to drive that monstrosity through villages, narrow lanes, tight bends, river banks into beds with soft sand, fesh fesh , mud, over bridges with max weight limits, heavily cambered roads... all the stuff we see in real world travel.

Until they actually have that experience, their designs and ideas won't change.

Ivan C
Gold
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:38 am

Re: One for the T244 Owners

Postby Ivan C » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:01 am

Is that the "Icelandic" Kat?
If so I understood Jackson's built it - and it was not without it's issues.
From what I have seen of Motorcraft's workmanship I wouldn't be happy with it - especially given the amounts of money involved.
I do take the point they have to satisfy customer demand - even if it is based on flawed ideas.
I did wonder if Motorcraft were tied in to Jackson's in some way - especially as Jackon's now offer a "supply and build " service.
Ivan C

Rusape
Gold
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:04 pm
Location: Herts

Re: One for the T244 Owners

Postby Rusape » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:26 pm

Ivan C wrote:Is that the "Icelandic" Kat?
If so I understood Jackson's built it - and it was not without it's issues.
Ivan C


No it's the large grey "Overlander" with the huge rear overhanging quad garage. It is supposed to be going to Africa... Well good luck with that being a suitable vehicle for African roads.

Ivan C
Gold
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:38 am

Re: One for the T244 Owners

Postby Ivan C » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:09 pm

Rusape wrote:
Ivan C wrote:Is that the "Icelandic" Kat?
If so I understood Jackson's built it - and it was not without it's issues.
Ivan C


No it's the large grey "Overlander" with the huge rear overhanging quad garage. It is supposed to be going to Africa... Well good luck with that being a suitable vehicle for African roads.

I see an 8x8 Kat in their gallery.........I can't see that being suitable for many roads, but if that's what the customer wants.......
Glad it's not mine though :D
Ivan C


Return to “General Vehicle Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests